Saturday, July 4, 2009

Daddy on the 4th

It's just another weekend for us here in the oven of the United States. I'm working all weekend and missing the action as usual... Daddy is driving the kids around in the minivan, which ranks right above going to the dentist or working through the weekend for him. And in the absence of my "mommamobile" I'm left to cruise into work in the "daddymobile" - a black Lexus he washes more often than his own children... Naturally, he was on my mind as I made my way in to work.

The Daddy. The man who describes good things as "tight" and bad things as "knarly". The man who describes his favorite basketball player as having "mad hops". The man who embarrasses me on date night by pulling up alongside an expensive, fast-looking car and revving his engine, inviting the other driver into a street race. The man whose three year old daughter stalks his side of the bed, asking every 2 hours "we can snuggle yet, Daddy?" all night long. The man who proves that you can take the boy out of the frat, but you can not take the frat out of the boy - no matter how much time passes, or how many little girls you have. The man who would do just about anything for a friend. The man who volunteers to babysit his nephews on a Friday night without a seconds' hesitation (although this always ends up being a bit more work for me rather than for him... ) The man whose children know how to "gimme some love" and know what "rims" are. The man who says to me, "How about I take the girls to the gym so you can have an hour of quiet?"

So happy 4th of July, Big Daddy! I dig your mad Daddy-skills. You're pretty cool. And I'll admit, sometimes when I drive your car - I accelerate hard. And I like it.

2 comments:

Greta said...

I think you missed your calling as a writer. Too cute!

Anonymous said...

very sweet, I love it!