Thursday, July 8, 2010

Channelling My Inner Ranch Wife

I like to bake.  Really, I do. 

And I have time to bake,
I just don't have time to clean up.

There are the three kids.
And the weekend job (EVERY weekend).
And the post-graduate education I was crazy enough to begin after birthing baby #3.

  All this stuff amounts to a very busy and distracted
wife and mother.

And a very dirty kitchen.

So I was thinking about my friend Miss. Jami
and about how I always seem to learn something when I watch her in the kitchen.

And about my friend Miss. Greta
who always rocks the playdate with her cakes and little homemade pizzas
and how she always involves the kids in the creation of these yummies.

And about my little sister
who works magic with a pot roast
all while chasing 2 spirited boys, feeding one stiff baby girl
and probably cleaning something.

And I thought
"I should turn my enjoyment of baking into something fun to do with my girlies!
I'm sure we'll wander into a teachable moment or two
and I can present the results to the husband!"

So that's what I did tonight.
Beginning with my first ever homemade pie crust.



Necessary ingredients are assembled.


I totally love my pastry blender. 
 It's a shame I had never used before today.



Assistant #1 slightly concerned. 
This doesn't look like any pie she's ever had...



Relief.
It's just the crust.



Success!
Crust was a bit dry, but stayed in one piece.



Filling is in.



Assistant #2 gives her approval of the merangue.



Crap.



Banana cream goodness.



Dishes are done.
Pie is baked.
Mother-daughter bonding achieved.
Feet are killing me.
Time to hang up the aprons.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yum, it looks so good! fun but the cleanup is always the worst.

Shanita said...

Man... yall are making me look bad! Okay, I' going to channel my inner Martha Stewart and start switchin' in the kitchen!

Jami said...

BEAUTIFUL pie! You must be a natural - you're first homemade pie crust turned out great without the frustration and temper tears. You're so much farther ahead of the game than I was!