Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Off Call

My first month "off-call" is coming to an end and what an amazing month it was!  I thought about blogging my adventures as they happened, but ended up spending the weeks pretty much "unplugged" from the outside world and focused on my own little world.  No regrets about that!  So I'll recap some of the highlights, in case you're interested.

1. My Mom and Dad in law came from California and spent some time at the first of the month.  I was still waiting on the births of two sweet babes, so it was a little crazy, but Joe's Mom and Dad just jumped right in and made life so much easier.  Until they had to go home.

We rode the air tram through Portland and saw a double rainbow!


2.  My Mom came from Texas and both her little sisters drove down from Washington.  We had ourselves a party.


I crocheted each grandma-auntie a headband to match each grand-niece.  The grandma-aunties shooed Joe and I away for an entire day and we got to do WHATEVER WE WANTED.  Of course when presented with all that freedom, we couldn't think of a thing to do.  So we went downtown and wandered in and out of shops, had brunch and got a tour of Joe's school (I am in love with his school and am praying that the girls get in next year).  Then we ended up at the same vintage 1940s theater we visited a year ago when we flew out to Portland and watched Thor.  We just love that old theater, doesn't matter what's playing.  Then I surprised Joe with a dinner cruise on the Portland Spirit.


We had dinner and a lovely tour of the city at night along the river.  Yeah, he was impressed.

We took Grandma to the coast and explored caves and tide pools, too!












 It was the best weather we've ever experienced at the Oregon coast.  I always take way too many pictures when we go, but I can't help myself.  It's so pretty.

3.  I signed Eva up for a month-long session of swim lessons because I knew I could get her there consistently!

4.  Joe took a trip to Omaha to visit his BFF and go to a Husker football game.  Go Big Red!!  He stayed up all night drinking and playing playstation.  I know because his BFF's wife told on him and sent me incriminating photos!  The daddy needs a break sometimes too and I was very glad he went because I got all the girls to myself for 4 days (no school).  We painted our nails, went shopping, ate pizza, went swimming, did crafts, did more crafts and rented Barbie movies.  It was awesome.

5.  I got EVERYONE in to see the dentist.

6.  I kept the house cleaner than usual and made dinner more often than usual.  It was exhausting.

7.  I made it to every gymnastics practice and every soccer game.

8.  I crocheted hats, flowers, earbands and scarves.  I caught up on several movies I've been wanting to see.

9. I volunteered at the girls' school!

10.  We traveled to Washington and had Thanksgiving with my newly wedded cousin Kristina and helped her put all her expensive wedding gifts to use making dinner.



It was a great break and great family time.  I loved all the time with Joe and the girls.  I'm mentally prepping myself for the craziness that is creeping back into our lives a day at a time as I get back into the groove of "midwifing" but am reminded of what a blessing it is to have work that I love, a beautiful place to live, healthy children, and a supportive spouse.  Very blessed.  And very grateful.  God bless all you blog-readers this holiday season!  

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I enjoyed your update! Sounds like you kept busy even "off call".