Thursday, October 15, 2009

Mischief and Independence

So this is actually a combo-post. I have 2 stories to share, but they are not really related... I'm feeling a little scattered today. In fact, I should be writing an essay about "cultural desire" but I can't focus.

So let's start with the mischief.

I don't know why the smattering of silver foil juice packets all over the floor of the garage never raised my suspicions before. But, as we've established, I'm sometimes a bit aloof. Joe and I buy mass quantities of caprisun, apple and Eve, and those organic chocolate milk boxes for lunches and on-the-go. They are otherwise off-limits.

As I walk from the car to the house I have often wondered "Hmm, whose empty juice box fell out of their lunch sack?" Yes, I'm serious. That was my exact thought.

Yesterday I nearly tripped over an upright, straw in place, box of chocolate milk. I stood there and considered the milk. Clearly, it didn't fall out of a lunch sack. It's almost as if it were set there carefully. But in the garage? So, I bent down to pick it up and IT WAS COLD. I looked up, chocolate milk in hand, and suddenly I comprehended the sight before me.

Those little stinkers!!!

So I called the little darlings to the scene of the crime.

"Ali. Mia. It has become apparent to me that the juice boxes for lunch only have become a sort of garage-juice-buffet. Are you sneaking juice boxes and drinking them here? In the garage? In secret?"

Blank stares.

"Who is responsible for this?" Holding up chocolate milk container.

"Not me." "Not me."

So both little accomplices were sent to time out until someone came forward.

It took Mia less than 30 seconds to break.

For their sneakiness and dishonesty, they lost chocolate milk privileges for the rest of the weak. Gasp!! And Daddy is currently looking into a padlock for the fridge. Just kidding.

After cleaning up all the empty containers, Mia says "Mom, I a little kid. Sometimes I just be naughty. Ali should know better." Oye.



So here is the independence portion of the post. You are looking at a certain 6 year old riding her bike to the park. By herself. For the first time.

Of course I snuck out after she was far enough down the street and watched her the whole way.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Your kids are so clever!

Wendy said...

I love that Mia totally threw Ali under the bus. "She should know better." Priceless.